Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2006

Hello everyone,
This post is just some ramblings about reading aloud. . . I mean, most of us were read aloud TO as children. What I'm curious about now is, "Why do we stop reading aloud to students around 5th grade?" and "Why do people apologize for reading aloud when they are giving a speech, for example?"

Curious and wanting to explore this further,
DrW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always read aloud in our family, and even though the kids are grown, my husband and I still often share what we find interesting by "reading aloud." There is something especially "delicious" about sharing a really great book OUT LOUD-- not having to paraphrase, but experiencing the story together, in real time. That is how our family read To Kill a Mockingbird, The Yearling, and the first Harry Potter book--together, taking turns with the text, and sharing the story out loud. I highly recommend it!

DrW said...

Absolutely, Dr. Pat! I vividly remember my mom reading Brer Rabbit stories, and just about anything else I would bring her to read. (I also remember reading TO her, but that is another topic!)
I love Jim Trelease's work and his thoughts on the importance of reading aloud.